Linamar announces closure in Swansea: Union prepares challenge

208 workers at the Linamar plant in Swansea, and their families, face the dole as the Canadian car parts company announced the closure of the Swansea plant by the end of this year on Wednesday 7 July. The company had told the union that it would come to the talks with an ‘option A’ – confirmed product sourcing and a future, or ‘option B’ – a closure.

Within minutes, it was clear that the only negotiations would be over redundancy terms. Linamar took over the plant from Visteon in July 2008. Visteon was the company created by Ford in 2000 from its component plants. The other three Visteon plants, located in Basildon, Enfield and Belfast, went into administration last year.

Despite most of the Swansea workers being on terms and conditions and pensions ‘mirrored’ to that of Ford, Linamar assured the workforce that they had secured new engine work from Ford, most of which would be supplied to their engine plant in Bridgend.

This would replace their existing work on power take off transmission units (PTUs).

However, as Rob Williams convenor of the Unite union in the plant, said: “They have kept their word on all the bad news, like the PTUs, but have reneged on all their positive promises like the new work and our contracts. Many of us would have lost £600 per month!”

Linamar workers believe that it is now clear that Linamar was only interested in securing the work from Ford, work that will now go to the German plant.

Ford has received financial assistance from government agencies. Ford should be forced to insist that Linamar makes the engine work in Swansea. The union in the Swansea plant will be meeting the workforce over the next few days, ahead of a mass meeting on Monday evening, to discuss fighting the closure.

Total
0
Shares
Previous Article

Build united action to stop the cuts

Next Article

Workers & poor hit hardest by blitzkreig Budget

Related Posts

Cllr Tom Hartley challenged to justify health cuts

The Socialist Party has challenged Councillor Tom Hartley, who sits on the Belfast Health Trust's Executive Board, to publicly justify the massive cuts the Trust is implementing. After receiving a 'response' from Mr. Hartley, West Belfast Socialist Representative Pat Lawlor wrote this letter, which was carried in the Irish News and Andersonstown News.

11/03/2010

Dear editor,

In response to my challenge to justify the cuts being implemented by the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust, Councillor Tom Hartley, who sits on the Trust’s Executive Board, has refused to make any answer. Instead, in a letter dated 8th March, he has told us to await a justification from the Trust Corporate Communications Department.

’Stop the killing of demonstrators’

Lift the siege immediately!

Below is a translated and a slightly edited statement posted earlier today (31/05/2010) on the website of Tnua’t Maavak Sozialisti / Harakat Nidal Eshtaraki (Socialist Struggle Movement –the Committee for a Workers’ International in Israel) on the killing of peace protesters by IDF paratroopers early this morning.

Below we provide an initial response from Socialist Struggle Movement in Israel (CWI) following the killing of protesters during the IDF takeover of the international aid convoy, last night. We call on everyone to participate in demonstrations and protests.
Stop the killing of demonstrators, lift the siege immediately